Wednesday, May 25, 2011

El campo

This morning we came back from el campo. We spent a whole weekend there with the community and learned about it’s history. This weekend was a very eye opening experience for me and put me completely out of my element. I was thrown into a situation with people I don’t know and in an unfamiliar environment. I was pretty scared.

It was challenging to see the situation that my family was living in. My host mom’s name was Dasi and she has two children. A 13 year old boy name Jorge and a 4 year old named Helen. The father in my family had to leave and go to Matagalpa to work and try to make money to support his family. However, he hardly sees his family. The mother Dasi is the teacher at the community school. However, she does not get paid very much. She only got paid 500 cordoba a month, which is only about 22 dollars a month.

It was very interesting having to live with varies animals like chickens, dogs, cats, goats and other farm animals. I felt bad that all these families have to live in this situation with no running water and little food to eat. Its hard to go there and then think of all the things that you have at home. It was definitely an interesting experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment