Monday, May 16, 2011

Jen's Pre-Trip Post

Tomorrow at 5:30 in the morning my journey to Nicaragua will begin! It seems like I have been counting down this day forever and it is hard to believe that it is finally here. I have also been packing for days to make sure that I have everything to make this trip of a lifetime perfect and for my parent’s sake, safe.

For those of you who do not know me, like every other 20-year-old in the United States, I am addicted to facebook, my blackberry, and it is a rarity to leave the house without make-up. The idea of going to a third-world country to experience a life that has no technology and is so foreign to mine, not only excites me but also scares me at the same time. The struggles that a third-world country faces really hit home when going to the Infectious Disease doctor to receive vaccines and to prepare for the trip. My doctor told me many people in Nicaragua have contracted and could possibly die of Typhoid Fever and Malaria and that I should be vaccinated to make sure that I don’t contract the diseases myself. It is hard for me to grasp the idea that a solution for these diseases are in the United States and in other parts of the world, yet the people of Nicaragua still struggle with something that is potentially preventable. I look forward to meeting the native people and learning first hand culture of Nicaragua.

No comments:

Post a Comment