Monday, May 16, 2011

On the way to Nicaragua...Some Thoughts by Maria

As I am on a plane to Nicaragua, I am truly excited to be on TCNJ’s third delegation with Witness for Peace (WFP). A great organization whose mission “is to support peace, justice and sustainable economies in the Americas by changing U.S. policies and corporate practices which contribute to poverty and oppression in Latin America and the Caribbean.” WFP brings people from the United States to “witness” the disparity in Nicaragua and express what they believe is the United States role in the third world country. To get a quick understanding of the extent the WFP does please read “Witness for Peace: A Story of Resistance,” by Ed. Griffin-Nolan.
Not only am I excited for what I am going to learn and experience

I am super ecstatic to be with the group of people coming on the trip. We have a great group of students with so many different talents and interests. The group includes Karina Lopez, Erica Hernandez, Kat Avila (the only one who has been on the trip before), Kristina Merced, Caitlin Dolan , Meghan Gerity, Jennifer Ullrich, our only boy Adam Sflerazzo, and my co-staff member Heather Camp.

We are landing in 20 minutes and I just can’t stop smiling and thinking this is going to be a great trip. At this time I would also like to thank the Bonner Center for giving me this opportunity, Pat and Paula for being so supportive, and Brit Aydelotte for organizing everything. Keep Reading the blog, it’s going to be GREAT!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment