Thursday, May 19, 2011

Experiences in Nicaragua

So far, I have been having a very interseting experience. I like how we are able to link the discussions that we have with real life experiences that we encounter in Nicaragua. I went to the dump with the rest of Bonner and was able to witness Nicaragua's form of poverty. These citizens migrated to the Dump because they could not find a means of food for their families. Considering that the unemployment rate is 75 %, this did not shock me. However, the type of food that they eat at the Dump did shock me. I also went to the women's rights nonprofit organization, where I was able to see women organizing themselves and protecting each other from the unjust treatment of women in Nicaragua. This experience enlightened me and the speaker was very passionate.

Moreover, last night's experience was an experience that I will never forget. After the concert (which was a lot of fun), I went to a local concert with a few of the Bonners. There, I came across Witness For Peace advocate Christine and her boyfriend. We were able to walk into a concert (for free) and see the pride and nationalism that the citizens of Nicaragua have for their country. It got a little awkward when a song came on about hating America, but every one was still very nice. After, a few Bonners went back but I stayed out with two other Bonners and Christine and her boyfriend. We went to a local bar/club and every single person there was incredibly nice to us. Instead of feeling anger towards us for being outside Americans, they introduced themselves and taught us a lot about their culture, such as oroper greetings and how to dance to salsa. Also, Chrstine's boyfriend was very kind and handled the taxi ride and music. I am starting to fall in love with the culture and the amount of nationalism this country holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment